Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

I think Jesus would rather you went to a petting zoo.

  This time of year always makes me cringe for one reason alone. People who buy animals for Easter gifts. Having raised rabbits as a kid and now chickens as an adult it really matters that people stop doing this. Animals are not disposable. It's a living, breathing responsibility. One that an impulse buyer has no forethought about. Let me make this easy. Here are some questions to ask yourself as you are on the brink of losing it because of all the cute you are more than likely face to face with at a bin of snuggly critters:
  1. Did you ever have thoughts of purchasing a baby chick or tiny bunny before this minute? 
  2. Do you know anything more about this animal than what you just now googled this second? 
  3. Do you have time in your daily life to care for this creature? 
  4. Do you actually believe your child when they plead that " you won't have to do anything Mommy/Daddy. I will feed it and clean up everything I promise"?
 If you answered NO to any of these, put down the baby animal and back away. Now run to your car, drive home and feed the cat who now lives outside because it's easier. Hey, pets are not for everyone.


 I am not trying to crush your lifelong dream of farm living. I am just asking everyone to stop the mass hysteria of owning a baby animal. I am guilty of getting super giddy about baby piglets. My voice raises into octaves only dogs can hear. I barely make sense and "OOoooooommmmgeeeeee its sooooooo cuddleeeeeeeee" is all I can muster. But then I chill the hell out and remember baby pigs become giant bacon hogs. I lack any and all accommodations for that type of animal. I feel like I am reminding apartment dwellers not to buy a mini horse and yes this should all be common sense. But I know the season sweeps us off our feet with pictures like this.













 

   Those of us farm people even set up cute pics with plastic Easter Eggs and all the cuteness that Spring can offer. But in all honesty, baby animals all grow up to be adults. And truthfully rabbits can grow up to be mean spirited and wild if they are not loved on constantly and treated sweetly. Chickens can lose their charm for some through those super awkward "teenager" phases of nearly no feathers an bad attitudes. The novelty does fade and a stuffed bun-bun really will do the trick for your heart eyed kiddo. Between that and the chocolate they will survive. Let's not adopt a pet we aren't actually in the market for. Would you give an Easter kitten? Exactly.There many local farms to visit for the Spring baby fix I swear.


 There are many many animals given away or neglected because they were bought on impulse. I myself have adopted grown hens that folks were just over the idea of having anymore. It's also a terrible example to set for our kids, that animals are a thing and not a life. That they are disposable or unimportant. We should be adopting loved new family members no matter what the breed. A pet is a chosen chore that we should be more mindful of.

::getting down off my soapbox now::



Around the nation there are rescue organizations for animal adoption. Excellent resources can be found here http://www.hobbyfarms.com/farm-resources/livestock-resources/rescue-groups.aspx



1 comment:

  1. I'm such a proponent of adopting from shelters rather than buying from a breeder or (shudder) a pet store. The same should go for these cuddly chicks and bunnies.

    ReplyDelete